As we head into the summer of 2019 (I know right! How quick was that?!), I am aware that many clients will go on holiday, visit family and friends, maybe do a bit of travelling, eat and drink more and maybe do less exercise. So I am here to help!
My small and relatively new business only opens during term time as I try very hard to run my business around the rest of the family and their activities and commitments. However, I still want my clients to stay active. Next summer I am planning on offering an online service where you can workout with me online, in your own time, wherever you want and however many times you want! In the meantime, please feel free to download this Summer Holiday Workout document which I have put together for you this summer. It has got one warm up/mobility routine and 2 workout routines that don’t need any equipment. Just your phone to use a timer. When you have completed them, please comment below and let me know how you got on!
We are now half way into 2019 and it always makes me think about achieving the goals that I set at the beginning of the year. I am passionate about “wellness” and about the being the best version of you that you can be. I am striving to incorporate the following 5 things into my business as I believe (and it has been proven) that they can improve our mental health:
- Connect. I want to build a community that’s inclusive and non judgemental. We are all on our own unique and individual journeys. Our past may have shaped us, but let’s be mindful and purposeful of our present and our future. Live in the moment, enjoy it and make relationships! I am so looking forward to the Retreat in September as I know it will provide an opportunity for people to bond. There will another Fit Shack social coming up in October!
- Be Active. The more and more research I read, I find a link between exercise improving mental health. Not just because it produces endorphins and serotonin but because being physically stronger makes you mentally stronger. Setting a goal and achieving it is an amazing feeling. Maybe it’s just to be able to run for 10 minutes without stopping, or do a push up on your toes! It doesn’t matter. When you achieve it you feel euphoric. Team sports is also a great way to connect and be active. I played my first ever game of touch rugby this year and it was amazing.
- Keep Learning. The brain needs to be constantly challenged (just like our muscles!) so keep using it. Enrol on courses, learn a new skill, read challenging books, learn a new language, how to dance…….the list is endless. Just do it!
- Give to Others. This is a big one for me. The feeling of giving is so humbling and that’s exactly how I felt as I dropped of 32kg of food to the Foodbank after my Charity Spin ride. Just imagine what a more amazing place our World would be if everyone gave regularly. I am planning another one soon, this time for Faith in Action. Watch this space.
- Be Mindful. People are so BUSY, especially in London. It seems almost everyone I see walking down the street has headphones in or they are on their phone. It’s difficult to appreciate and be mindful of your surroundings if you don’t pay attention. Get into the habit of going on a mindful walk or run, being mindful when you are eating your food and, of course, when you are exercising! This is a great way to get to know your own body. Focused exercise is a must.
So enjoy your Summer and keeeeeeeppppppp moving! (like they say on Strictly!) 🙂